The Best Business Forum
The Best Business Forum
Email MarketingOutbound Marketing

Is Email Marketing a good strategy?576

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
As part of my overall marketing strategy I use email marketing, this takes the form of an automatically generated newsletter which is sent on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday and which I change on occasion to work out what gives me the most opens, clicks, etc. On top of this I have some auto-responder system set up, that I use on occasion to both educate my audience and to also use trip wire type marketing... I know, I could do this more and more and should, but time is my enemy and I seem to run out of time, before I run out of ideas.

Just curious if others are using email marketing and how…
Post 1 IP   flag post
Site Admin Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

I have an email list. I have used it from time to time ... but I find that the time it takes to work the list isn't worth the effort.

Open rates + click through rates and conversion divided by the time it takes to make it happen = not worth it in the long run.

I know it is contrary to the norm, but I don't see email lists as an effective strategy.

That being said, if you have a good email list of people who have already done business with you = bought something from you, then you have something.

Too many people want as many emails as they get. Wrong strategy.

What you want is an email list of people who have engaged with you.

That's my 2 cents. Change please!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Carrying on here ...

Suppose you had an email list of 2,000 people and you spend an hour/week crafting something worthwhile for them to read with a Call-to-action.

The average open rate is 15% depending on the niche.

That's 300 people.

The average click thru rate to see something is 10%.

Now, we're down to 30 people.

If I do that weekly, I might get 100+ people/month out of a list of 2,000 to come to my site.

100 people is not enough to get an active conversion on a product or service. But suppose I did sell 1% of them a product.

How much must that product sell for to get my money back.

4 hrs of my time/week + email client fees.

2000 email addresses isn't enough.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Belew You are working on the worth of a customer being a single sale... the real worth of a customer over their lifetime could be a lot more... so to convert just one person over that time frame might be worthwhile... depending on their lifetime value to you.

I also work on touch points, someone signs up to my list on my website which means they read my content, when they get me newsletter... I touch them again with content, again and again for as long as they remain subscribed ...

This is the same approach I take to social media, just other touch points... my aim being to touch my audience as often as I can... everywhere I can.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Steve

I get the idea of touch points.

What I want to do, however, is create scenarios where would-be customers want to touch me. Inbound vs outbound.

Email is outbound unless your email content is so cool people really want it.

I focus on writing (my site and LI) and speaking (Meetup and where invited). And that's enough for me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Carrying on... i want people to go out of their way to read/hear Belew.

Naive perhaps. But that's what I want.

Inbound, not outbound.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I want them to read me... so I go out of my way to make it really easy for them to read me. And is email marketing outbound if they find you by inbound means to sign up in the first place... isn't it more relationship marketing... lol

I know my approach is different to most peoples and I intend to try and keep it that way...
Post 7 IP   flag post
If anybody can make it work it's likely to be you. Keep track of the hours it takes to do it. And add up the dollars that come in. If the math adds up its worth it.

I subscribe to some email lists because I want to read their stuff.

10 out of 10 email lists I am on are ones I went looking for. The site delivered what I wanted and I wanted more.

I probably don't subscribe to 10 sites. Maybe 5 or 6 at best.

and in all of my years online I have never clicked thru on an email and bought something.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Inbound is doing stuff to attract people.

Email is doing stuff with people you have already attracted.

Nobody ever searched and found am email.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Member dzflower453 private msg quote post Address this user
If you can write good content that people will read in email, then it is good. Look at Victor Cheng
Post 10 IP   flag post
@dzflower453

How will people who don't know about his email find out?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Don't you go through the email list?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@tienny Yes I do. Why do you ask?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Just wondering how long do you go through your email list?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@tienny good question
Post 15 IP   flag post
Member dzflower453 private msg quote post Address this user
He posts it on his website. You can sign up. He has great content.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I know this is against what @Belew teaches... but not what I teach ... lol, but I actively promote content to maximize its reach and effectiveness.

So email marketing, social media marketing... everything I can do to push it out there and draw people in... if the content is produced already I am going to use it, every way I possibly can.

inbound, outbound, social, who cares ... its result I am working on ...

Oh and my newsletter which goes out 3 times per week is fully automated ... so apart from an hour here and there as I change things ... it takes no time at all ... in fact it is normally being delivered while I sleep ...
Post 17 IP   flag post
I hate it when my website is down... today I moved away from Cloudflare... who I have used for a long time now... I use the paid service... however I am of the opinion that it is no longer helpful to SEO ... in fact quite the opposite... hence my move away.

My move involved giving my site a dedicated IP address and a new SSL certificate ... both done, however now I am waiting for the DNS to resolve itself .. apparently for some my site is up, for me its down ...

arrr...
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Steve

I feel your pain.

What do you do while you wait?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Member bobpegram private msg quote post Address this user
Where I used to work we used email marketing. We sold custom fitted golf clubs - a high ticket item. That made it worth the cost and time. With low price items I can't see how it could work.
We had almost 8,000 names. Click-through rate was usually about 22 percent - pretty consistently. That is good. The percentage of people who contacted us was much less - way less than 100. The number who actually bought was still less - much less.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@bobpegram How did you get those 8,000 names?
Post 21 IP   flag post
My boss had collected the list of 8,000 over the years - clients, people who attended free talks he gave at golf groups, people who signed up on the internet, etc. He was listed in Golf Digest magazine as one of the top 100 clubmakers in the United States. We got sign ups and customers from that too. He also had contacts throughout the industry and made more at semi-annual PGA merchandise shows in Orlando and Las Vegas.

I had found him because he was listed as a custom club maker on a website of a custom golf component maker. I then signed up for the email list. I eventually visited his place and asked about working for him.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@bobpegram How does your boss record the email lists? Does he uses any software to keep track?
Post 23 IP   flag post
@bobpegram Bob, this is great insight into what it takes to build a good list in a specific niche OFFline. Thanks for sharing.

Any idea how long it took him?
Post 24 IP   flag post
tienny - Do you mean tracking responses to the emails?

We used SalesForce although it was overkill for a 3 man shop. That let us keep track of which subjects each person was interested in, whether they had bought anything and what it was, etc. My boss wrote the emails. I was the one who formatted the emails, added graphics, posted them to the blog on the website, etc. I kept SalesForce up to date and did a lot of the customer service - keeping track of orders, keeping the client informed, etc. I also worked on other parts of the website. The older website was HTML. The newer one was WordPress. I worked on both. That is where I learned WordPress. It took a mental shift since it was SO different than HTML. At first WordPress made no sense to me even though it is easier to use once you understand the way it works.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Bill - He had started the business in the late 1990s. The list was an accumulation from then until I started working for him in November 2011. It kept growing after that. I was more conscientious about keeping it current than he sometimes was. On the other hand, his memory of clients was better than mine. He had a huge head start. Also, the time involved was part of the reason he couldn't keep it as current.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@bobpegram Yes. And I wonder
What software is used to keep the contact?
Post 27 IP   flag post
tienny - It dawned on me what you asked. We used Constant Contact. He is now in Indiana. That is why I don't work for him any more. He used MailChimp for a while. He is back to Constant Contact.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@bobpegram

Did he leave the email list with you when he left?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@bobpegram Thanks
Post 30 IP   flag post
30445 30 30
destitute