The Best Business Forum
The Best Business Forum

Help with converting a multiniche blog2909

vicky4227 private msg quote post Address this user
So you are taking over the management of a new blog and on the day you took over you logged into the wordpress dashboard, took a look at the posts published to find out that the last owner has been directionless – actually writing about everything on the face of the earth.
You want to make this blog work and this means you have to convert it to a focused niche to help with SEO and monetizing.
But here is the problem, the former owner has already published more than 300 blog posts on , like I said earlier, almost every topic on the face of the earth.
I checked the analytics and found out that the traffic is miserable; the blog is barely getting up to 40 pageviews a day. So poor for so much content.
So I am requesting for guidance from the gurus in the house. How do I proceed to make this blog work?
I already have a niche in mind but don’t know what to do with the already published posts.
Should I just ignore them and start writing on the niche?
Or should I delete everything and start afresh?
Talking about deleting how do I handle the 404 effect from Google because there is going to be lots of not found pages on the webmaster tools.
Should I ignore the blog and tell the owner to let it expire because it is a failed project?
In this case this is an aged domain of about 4 years and we are worried about letting such age factor that can help ranking later go to waste.
A little help will be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Site Admin Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Check the Google analytics for this domain to see which niche is performing the best. Start there.
Post 2 IP   flag post
After getting the niche, Should I just ignore the old posts and start writing on the niche?
Or should I delete everything and start afresh so that the blog doesn't seem distracted.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Just focus on the best niche for now ... is what I'd do.

No need to delete the old.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks a lot. I was actually thinking of deleting them. Hopefully I am able to get the site ranking in a few months.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@vicky4227

With 40 visits per day, it is hardly a failed project. Many would be glad of that number!

Keep the old posts. Select your new niche and write for it for now. You may want to re-think this at some point in the future.

Now, so we can help you even more, what is your selected niche?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Judging a websites success by page views is a flawed model... let me explain, imagine you own a Ferrari dealership... now 40 page views a day sounds poor, however if the content creates just one customer per day that buys a Ferrari ... is the website / blog is poor or is it performing exceptionally well?

You niche down, simply to attract a specific target audience this may be smaller or larger than other audiences, it doesn't matter the point is you attract the audience that is interested in what products or services you are selling?

Just a thought...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks @Rev for your response. I am not only discussing this topic here but with other colleages too and almost everyone is saying I should not delete, rather I should continue with the new niche.
I have already done so. I appreciate all your response.
@steve Thanks for your input.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@vicky4227

You didn't tell me your niche. Is it secret?

Also, you haven't filled out your profile information. You can put a link to your website there. That might be this blog or it might be a main site with a link to the blog on that site.

Filling in your profile on social media sites and forums -- even when you are not allowed to add links to posts -- is a good way to get additional traffic to your site.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Rev sounds as if the whole blog ... profile thing is a complete secret ... lol
Post 10 IP   flag post
Not posting a link to the blog in my profile page is not because I want to keep it a secret. The reason I am not posting any link of the blogs I handle is that they are not in any way related to this forum's niche.
So I don't see how a link from here would help the site since it is unrelated and besides we are still studying the traffic to understand what we are dealing with.
We don't want visitors that are unrelated to the niche to mess up the traffic stats so we all decided to keep it away from unrelated forums and sites to enable us understand our efforts better.
@Rev, I sent you a PM with a link to one of the blogs so you can check it out. I don't handle these niche sites alone but with other writers so I can't post it here as mine.
I believe my reason is understood.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@vicky4227

Got it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@vicky4227

I had a mentor when I first got into marketing. Bill (not our Bill Belew) took me under his wing for some reason I'll probably never know, and he taught me more than I ever expected to learn in my life. He was quite a few years older than me. He's dead now and I really miss his advice and guidance. I've shared what I learned from him from time to time, with others, and in one of my books.

Bill traveled a lot. He lived the dream many of us work to achieve. He wrote to me from many of the exotic places he went -- just postcards; beautiful pictures of palms and beaches and mountain passes and historic old buildings; that sort of stuff.

Each postcard had a significant piece of one corner torn off and always the same message.

"You're still not getting the whole picture!"

In between his trips and the postcards, we would meet for breakfast one Saturday each month and he would share his wisdom. It probably took me longer than most, but one day a postcard arrived without the torn corner, and a longer message that spoke to what we were going to tackle in the next stage of our journey together.

Vicky, you started by telling us a great story about what you are doing. Each additional post has shone a little more light on the subject and, now that I've seen one of the sites, I am starting to feel like I did back when I was getting those postcards.

I just don't think I'm getting the whole picture.

This group is a great place for open sharing of problems in order to get help. Many of the teachers, mentors, coaches, and instructors here, me included, have shared their own problems from time to time and found great help from other teachers, mentors, coaches, and instructors, and just members who have had the same problem and learned a solution worth sharing.

If you are open, and complete, with your issue you will certainly get good help. If you don't feel you can be open in a public group, sign up as a student and get access to the private area of the board. Or, you can hire someone like me, or any of the other people here who offer such services, to advise you personally and completely.

It's what I do for a living and I'll be glad to work with you. I can certainly see a lot of issues you have to over-come.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Rev, Thanks for your response even though I am yet to understand how to respond to it. I value this community a lot and as a matter of fact I came upon Bills video a few months ago which led me to his site and then to this forum.
With regards to internet marketing and creating an online presence this is all new to me. Information from the few courses and ebooks I bought are the only knowledge I am putting into practice. I wanted to improve my practical experience so I hooked up with a team that has similar interest and that is how I am where I am at the moment.
I value this community and I appreciate your sense of leadership and guidance. I am willing to take advantage of the resources I can gather from the experienced gurus in the house.
I will appreciate your advise suggestions and whatever I get from you I will pass to the rest of the team.
Just like any other newbie and internet marketing team, the common goal for us is getting at least one of the sites we manage to rank for monetizing.
The process is a slow one organically with google but I think we are beginning to get some valuable feedback from our traffic demographics from analytics and the experience is fun.
I didn't feel like I had anything to hide and besides most questions I asked here are of my personal opinion and not that of the team.
Even after getting suggestions here, the team will take decision as one and not because I got it from this forum.
But I see my collaboration with this team as a learning process. Hopefully I will go into niche affiliate marketing on my own soon.
with a personal site I own, I will create social media profiles for them, upload it on my profile if necessary, ask questions about it openly in this forum and let the whole house help me out wherever they can.
Like I said earlier, I am new to online marketing and writing. Maybe that is why I am yet to create social media accounts on any of them because I might need some guidance on that too with regards to getting likes and followers and all that.
I hope it will still not be too late by then.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Just plain weird... and not worth my time...
Post 15 IP   flag post
@vicky4227

How's it coming?
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Belew -- I think he gave up on us long ago!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Or he is head down working it up.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Lol, hi guys.
Bill is right. Sorry I had to disobey some tips I got here.
Deleted poor and low ranking contents.
Rebranded the site and have been blowing steam unstoppable for weeks now.
Give up?
Never.
Bill, if you don't shut this forum down soon, I'll be back to give results.
Right now I think the deletion and niche rebranding was the best decision so far.
Thanks all.
Post 19 IP   flag post
30467 19 19
destitute