The Best Business Forum
The Best Business Forum
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Some of you may remember I was asked to put together a post for Australia Post about 18 months ago. It was for a campaign to keep postman and women safe from injuries caused by dogs.

A few weeks ago I was asked to do a follow up post as they relaunched the campaign. This took on a different perspective, but the aim is the same.

For those of you new to blogging, this is what happens when you keep up your posts - regular, good quality. They build your site's SEO and it gets noticed.

My Puppy Club now has 975 posts published and scheduled to go - not far off 1,000. This type of quantity takes time, but it is well worth the effort. A few months ago I employed someone to write short, fun, fact-filled posts. I don't have the time at the moment, but I wanted to keep the momentum up.

If you are interested here is the link to this year's campaign - https://www.mypuppyclub.net/dog-helping-hindering-postie/

And the previous one - http://www.mypuppyclub.net/keeping-posties-safe-neighbourhoods-safer/

Keep blogging, folks. You never know who is watching
Post 1 IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, Susan, That's for sure.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Member DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding MyPuppyVClub's 975 posts....is each one daily or sporadic, over a period of 4 or 5 yrs? Curious. I recall the blog yopu did of the cartoons I specialize in . . . .
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DansCartoons Started with 3 x day for 6 months. Then scaled it down to one per day. I did take a break mid last year, but now I've resumed publishing 1 x day, 5 to 7 times per week.

The post I created for you is on my other site. That has over 1,350 posts. This is it - https://susanday.net/licensed-cartoons-reprinting-professional-prints-digital-projects/
Post 4 IP   flag post
vicky4227 private msg quote post Address this user
975 post, wow, that's a huge number.
Quality and quantity obviously is the way to go with blogging.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Site Admin Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

You are my hero!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm awed by what you can do. You must have a gazillion ideas going on to write so many posts. So impressed.
Post 7 IP   flag post
sorry late to respond but that is interesting. Remember what was mentioned here....to write one blog post a day? Well, Last April 1 2017, I started....and up til yesterday, I have not mossed a day! Here is my ToonBlog that I write about cartooning at, cartoons, cartoon drawing tips, my thoughts on the business of being a cartoonist and so forth....I use the Yoast plug-in to optimize all the posts...some are 300 word minimum, a few up to 1,00 woreds or a coupld at 1,500 words...but overall, 300 words to 400 per post.

https://danscartoons.com/toonblog/
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DansCartoons did your effort help increase traffic?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Belew , I can honestly say it isn't working after almost a year of daily posting. I have analytics and when I started, I was around 3000pageview (or 200 sessions) - looking at my analytics lately, it's around the same....as a cartoonist, I draw also, so the input from writing pertains to my specialty...thoughts on syndication, my experience with magazines, getting assignments etc. I use the Yoast plugin, so each post passes the SEO test (green button appears).,,sometimes the needs improvement on writing, but have seen specific You Tube bloggers say that isn't important....I include images with each post, I name my slug with key word, same keywords in first intro paragraph of the post, alt text tags and on & on.

very frustrating. Like trying to figure out advertising on FB....it's so convoluted to understand......much like alot of Google programs that are so difficuylt to grasp (sorry to be late in responding....had a project to tend to)
Post 10 IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

Here's my conclusion ... in that you have done all these things, it might be that the specific market you are targeting is not big enough to get the traffic you want.

Have you considered expanding the group of people you want to reach?
Post 11 IP   flag post
here is a site offering cartoons: http://cartoonstock.com with NO blog and look at the traffic it gets....does the same thing, offering strictly cartoons for licensing. I am a one-man band and this place is a stock site. I offer what I do to the same "market" or digital demographic - so....why such a big diff? I have sure considered expanding to the group of people I want to reach....such as authors, facilitators (who do powerpoint presentations - which my work has been used for in the past), newsletter publishers, magazine publishers....this is what I mean, there are already places "out there" but how to "generate" traffic (I also have had my work used by consultants and there are THOUSANDS out there) in marketing, medical consultants (I do alot of medical cartoons) and on & on....alas..ZERO or low traffic. Just checked my analytics (currently at 2940 page views...)
Post 12 IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

The people/sites that use your toons ... How many have linked back to you from their site?
Post 13 IP   flag post
vicky4227 private msg quote post Address this user
I have taken a look at your site. One problem I thought you would have is what you are complaining about.
@DansCartoons

Your titles seems a bit out of the ordinary and I assume it is not what people are searching for through google.
When no one is searching for your titles, I don't think they would find you.
And just like @Belew said, maybe your market is not just big enough.

Here is my suggestion, how about titles like:

How cartoon images can help give your blog more engagement
How the right image can help get you traffic?
How cartoons can pass messages about what your business is about?

something like these.

Hopefully people will search and find you and engage you for your services.

Good Luck
Post 14 IP   flag post
@vicky4227 @Belew @DansCartoons

Here is what I did to reach a larger audience and many have "liked" my post and others have "friended" me.

I bought some Boosts from Facebook. Very inexpensive but it gave my page a much larger audience beyond organic search and I found tons of new visitors.

Just a thought. I'm not a vastly experienced blogger.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thank you for this input @vick4227 @gspieler and of course @belew and I don't mean to overtake Susan's post but it was her and Belew that instilled the daily blog post philosophy (or at least give it a try). My question about vicy4227's suggestion though...is NAMING your posts...if you use Wordpress, their blog platform is ideal, in that you can name your tile the same as the URL slug for each post. I note your suggestion for example: "How cartoon images can help give your blog more engagement" would be an exceptionally long slug or keyword URL....would it not?

OR, put "cartoon images" as the keywords in the blog post slug? Here is a suggestion...type in "custom qsl cartoons" and that blog post is on page one of Google's search results (post is made last May 31st)

Or type "ceo cartoons" and that blog post is on page one of Google's search results (near bottom of page that post made last May 26) - in fact the image I put in that post appears as a "featured image" on left of group . . . so I am "getting" what I need to do (almost 365 new posts soon, however, not helping me generate traffic....
Post 16 IP   flag post
@DansCartoons are people actually searching "cartoons"? What about titles / slugs that address a broader issue, such as "Get Your Business Found Online" or "Does Your Website Need to Stand out from the Crowd?"

Then use keywords such as "cartoons" etc in the first paragraph.

I'm not sure how many people are looking for cartoons, but a lot more are looking to be found online.

Just a suggestion.
Post 17 IP   flag post
well, this is my main objective, getting my cartoons noticed...i.e., there are consultants who write books and do presentations...and my cartoons have been used many times before in presentations and I've negotiated licensing fees for that use (usually $25 for a 1X usage)...there have been consultants in the medical field who've used my medical cartoons, like these: httpos://danscartoons.com/cartoon-category/medical and doctors have written books and could use my cartoons in their page layout...perhaps a cartoon at the beginning of each chapter, etc. Some doctors have used my cartoons in their electronic newsletters going out to their patients....so, how have they found me? By typing in "cartoons" (or in this instance "medical cartoons"....this is the main objective for my site, offering "cartoons" per se, for licensing.
Not just doctors, or medical consultants...then you have dentists, or dental consultants....same thing applies here, see my https://danscartoons.com/cartoon-category/dentistry/ . . in total, I have 5,000 and more separate cartoons I offer for licensing in this manner. Not only that, I have all cartoons categorized (in over 60 categories)and the list of categorized catalogs are visibly accessible at https://danscartoons.com/cartoons/ ....then of course, social media uses cartoons and I see great potential for companies, businesses, authors, consultants can license my cartoons for their Facebook business page or other platforms.....
When I use the Yoast plug-in for my blogging, I notice long slugs are not preferred or does it matter? This is the aspect of blogging that has me perplexed....like the other cartoon site I mentioned...it has no blog page but has almost a half MILLION hits a month (????) BTW: Yoast says words like "and" etc. are 'stop' words and it always suggests I re-write the slug?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Susan: I have a new blog post with a long tail slug: https://danscartoons.com/toonblog/make-your-facebook-page-stand-out/ and tell me what you think. Although it is telling me in Yoast before I published the page (where arrows point):"the focus keyword contains two stop words . . ." - will a page like this get indexed well? My site already has an XML sitemap...so I never worry about submitting new posts to Google as they get spidered relatively fast by Google's search bots . . . .
Post 19 IP   flag post

Holy cow, my traffic has dropped even lower! Is blogging really worth it?
Post 20 IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

Can you give me access to your Google Analytics?

Go to Admin ... Users ... just read/analyze is fine.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Belew ....sure, hang on....
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Belew please be specific....where do I navigate for read/analyze and what needs to be done

Post 23 IP   flag post
just read / analyze requires an email address it indicates....do I add anything there?
Post 24 IP   flag post
wcbelew @ gmail
Post 25 IP   flag post
@belew - you should be getting a notification! Let me know and THANK YOU
Post 26 IP   flag post
@belew Anything?
Post 27 IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

I just got back from a consulting client. I will get to it over the weekend or early next week.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

You probably won't like what I am going to say ...

I compared your traffic in the past year to similar time periods in years past.

You started on Apr 1, so I gave it a two months for the regular blogging to catch on ... comparing:

May 1, 17 - Yesterday with May 1, 16 - Feb, 17, 17.

That is comparing two 9-month stretches since you started blogging.

Your organic traffic from:

May 1, 17 - Feb 17, 18 - 15,031 sessions

May 1, 16 - Feb 17, 17 - 9,363 sessions

That's UP sessions!

I went back 2 years to your peak traffic period ... and sure as shooting ... the traffic is DOWN.

May 1, 15 - Feb, 17, 16 - 24,234 session

Compared to last years 15,031 sessions.

Lets look more closely.

Two years ago your visitors spent 31,100 hrs on site.
Last year, despite the drop visitors spent 30,563 hrs on site.

A negligent change.

The quality of your visits has increased tremendously. Fewer people are coming but they are staying much longer.

What would you account the increase in organic traffic to ... and the increase in the quality of your visitors?

I'd say more blog content made a big difference, wouldn't you?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@belew THANK YOU for this insightful research and reporting. You're appreciated. I would never have know that now how to track down that info in my Analytics. I probably won't like what you're going to say? LOL I loved it.... I discovered from an SEO expert who did his own special research that my site was a victim of the Panda / Penguin debacle and was penalized.

Could that also be a part of the lowering in traffic? But I appreciated this, because I can understand through what you researched, the last year's worth of daily blog posting has made an impact in most likely retrieving some of that lost traffic . . . had I not started last April, who knows, right?

Thinking that the answer to your question "What would you account the increase in organic traffic to ... and the increase in the quality of your visitors?" is most likely people paying attention to the blog....

I do offer web designers a free daily web cartoon also, and the info is here: https://danscartoons.com/services/daily-cartoon/ and ironically today, I got this inquiry:

We have a hyperlocal online news site and would like to offer a daily cartoon. What's the costs for this. We have 1000-1500 views per day.

and I quoted him a modest fee per month....the gist of this cartoon is when the code is added on another site, it creates an automatic link to my homepage.

One other question I have is actually my daily visitors, do I go by what is listed in "page views" and is that per day?
Post 30 IP   flag post
30438 31 30
destitute