The Best Business Forum
The Best Business Forum
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
One of the guru/coach teams I follow recently said the following:

"Facebook is dead for many ecommerce marketers...

"It's too complicated...
"The learning curve is too great...
"It's easy to waste a ton of money fast...
"And it's TOUGH to find the right audiences to buy from you..."

What are your thoughts on this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Site Admin Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Facebook ads might be good for getting likes, follows, downloads in exchange for emails and such. But the people who aay they are selling on FB are like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. You hear a lot abt them but you never really meet them.

I have seen some ppl get emails in exchange for a widget by advertising on FB...but they had a very intricate follow up mechanism and a huge budget = 5-figure monthly.

The ppl making the most money on FB are the ppl teaching you how to make money on Facebook.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Owner BigPoppi private msg quote post Address this user
Hate to say I disagree, but I disagree.

If you don't know how to market then yes, you will get eaten alive. And FB is making it harder which is good for guys like us that know how to market and sell.

I have lots of friends that are crushing it with FB ads.... We're doing well with our health niche ecom and we have professional clients that are doing extremely well with our FB agency.

You have to know what you're doing, but the data and analytics they provide are simply amazing...

You have to know your target market, be able to write direct response copy, call-to-actions, retargetting, provide quality content, know your long term customer value and have funnels setup, etc.

It's so easy to build a list and retarget for pennies...

You can build lists and then lookalike audiences. We have all of our shopping cart data that goes right into FB and it builds us demographics and allows us to know everything about our customers/clients. This way we can target look alike audiences that share the same interests and target new people.

Make a PPE ad, drive them to great content, pixel them and then run a retargetting ad for pennies with your main offer.

We are currently spending a big majority of our time now setting up chat-bots for our fan pages in the health niches. These folks are super responsive compared to email. It's like getting that text message, every one checks it almost immediately. We handle product inquiries and customer support this way and the bots are getting smarter.

BTW - I could care less about likes, etc. never have but it does show social proof depending on your niche.

Just my two cents... $1 in ad spend and $2 - $5 return. Then your back-end money.

May have rambled, was in a hurry!

@belew - I'm free on Tuesday below I head down to a big event in OC on Wednesday. I can drive up if you want to get together
Post 3 IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@BigPoppi Wow. That was an excellent tutorial. Apparently, you have a physical product to sell and you are doing it well.

I began "advertising" which FB calls Boosting just to get visibility. It has worked well and I've spent very little money over the past two months, less than $75 for 17,000 people who clicked through to read my posts and some have become followers.

I need those numbers to validate people actually read me for when I pitch to other blogs or magazines. So, I'm happy so far.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@gspieler - you have part of the equation and I don't know all your details but here's what you want o do... (fyi-we never boost posts because you're limited on the advertising side. FB has expanded it but I've never checked to see what the limitations are today.)

Instead of boosting posts you want to run what's called a PPE or Paid Post Engagement ad.

You want to have your website/blog setup with a FB pixel. FB now knows everyone who engaged with that post. You now have an audience. Now you can have FB create a look-alike audience based on the entire US Pop if that's your market. You create individual 1% look-a-likes.

This now takes you from the 17K that looked at your post to a couple of million people that have the same, similar likes, etc. You will know everything about them, age, gender, pages they like, family, interests, things they're looking to buy, etc.

Do you know what you can do with that kind of data?

You can also now run a retargetting ad to actually sell a product to the 17k for pennies because they are "your" customers. This is really the secret. DO NOT SELL THEM STRAIGHT FROM FB.

Follow @belew training and provide valuable content, build that database in FB, retarget them with offers that make money and create look-a-likes that will also buy similar products

It really does work....you have to know what is possible

There's way more but this is a good start... ENJOY
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Belew--Wow. This is a lot to take in. I will definitely follow up.

My ongoing question is though...what am I selling? I'm just a writer.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@gspieler sounds like you could sell anything you have knowledge about....

writing services?

cooking?

pets?

health?

any hobbies you could write about that people spend money on?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@gspieler - wait a minute, you're a Bruin!

Trojan here.....lol
Post 8 IP   flag post
@BigPoppi...Ooohhnooo. That does it.

But, seriously, this is great information. I'm not going to "yes but.." here and give it a try. As I'm not very savvy about marketing myself, I will listen and trust you folks who have obviously made this stuff work. I've wondered for a long time now how to monetize my website. I keep hearing about people making money on their blogs.

I'm very wary of those who sell their expertise when they really don't have any.

Here is what I'm working on: I'm trying to build a platform for my second book, so charging for writing about San Francisco Politics seems like a stretch. But, again, I will keep an open mind and explore the options here. Thanks so much, even if you did go to USC!
Post 9 IP   flag post
IF ... $1 in ad spend and $2 - $5 return ... where is the upper limit?

If I can make $2-5 on $1 ... why wouldn't I spend $1000 or $10,000 and make 2x - 5x?

And how much must I invest on the support structure to make that kind of return?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Belew absolutely correct! Once you get the positive ROAS (return on ad spend) then it's all about scaling.

Also, really depends on niche and amount of traffic available and how much you want

In the coaching arena with high ticket sales using a webinar/high value content... client value is $3,000 and up, you want your numbers in this range

$6-$10 per opt-in 100 optins
$13-$15 per attendee 50-66% attend or consume content (50 people)
$60-$100 book/apply for strategy session 15-20% book a session (10 people)
$300-$500 per client acquisition (3 sales @ $3000)

Even if you spent $1000 to close one person at $3k is it worth it?

Also, the bigger money is in 25K - $100K coaching programs...you offer after getting them as a client

With ecom it's a little different because you need to know long term customer value to know how much you can spend on the front end to acquire the customer...

Investment depends on how much one can do themselves or want to do themselves

Strategy is really simple

OFFER >>>>>>> QUALITY CONTENT >>>>>>>> APPLY >>>>>> STRATEGY SESSION

You can use the same process with doing a live event... The key to the live event is having a larger package to offer after providing them killer content at the event and helping solve their problems...
Post 11 IP   flag post
@BigPoppi

Look forward to catching up F2F on Wed in Mountain View.

Who else is going to be there from the forum? 8-)
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Belew It's tomorrow...
Post 13 IP   flag post
right the other Wednesday. tomorrow.. urrghhh...
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Rev ... @BigPoppi change my mind abt the effectiveness of Facebook Ads.

Nothing is nothing till the conversions take place ... but you have to start with connecting with the right people.

So far I have been able to get a good audience ... I think.

Measured by engagement around a topic that I care and they care about.

If the acid test is money from their hands to mine ... I don't know yet.

Building a relevant audience w/ FB ads? Can do.
Post 15 IP   flag post
10 cents per new follower from the US ... real person, real profile ... now what do I do?
Post 16 IP   flag post
@belew - be careful what you wish for...lol.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@BigPoppi My buddy Tyler is now in the black.

FB has finally figured out who is audience is ... he's now getting back double on his spend. He's slowly ramping it up.

I now have a very specific audience that has begun following me on FB. I have narrowed down my first idea of what to try to sell to them and their friends and their look-a-likes. Stay tuned.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@belew Glad to hear the ads are working for you folks. So, how do you monetize the audience?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@belew - isn't this exactly what I said before? You must have had a great instructor....lol

Maybe we should start by doing a webinar and offering an FB training program along with using Messenger Bots, etc. before the big event?
Post 20 IP   flag post
@BigPoppi

That's a good idea = webinar ...
Post 21 IP   flag post
@gspieler

The short (but this may be long).

Tyler has a pretty niche-specific website that he built. Over time he accumulated 15000+ emails.

He has some posts that advertise products on his site that perform very well already.

He used the emails that he gathered, created a look-a-like custom audience in FB ad manager.

He then created an ad that sends people to the post that performs well on his site ... That post now performs even better.

The first few days he made nothing while FB algo worked its magic.

After that initial nothing .. the ads are now returning 2ble.

He spends X and makes 2X. He is slowly ramping up his spend.

Does this answer your question?
Post 22 IP   flag post
@gspieler - the simple answer is you monetize by having something to sell!

Tyler can even do better once he figures it out. He will be able to 10X his current website income if done correctly.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@BigPoppi I did have a good instructor ... you!

Thanks for sitting down with me and walking me thru it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@BigPoppi @gspieler

I think you need to have more than something to sell ... though that, of course, is a critical piece.

You also have to have an audience ... or be willing to do what it takes to build an audience.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@belew ah shucks!

I already assumed @gspieler had something to sell....

As you've seen it's easy to create the audience, you've done it. Had you had something to sell you'd be making money.

The ability to target and create audiences is easier than ever if you know how...it costs money but as you've seen not a lot. It is also so cheap to test.

It's certainly easier this way than spending money creating something to sell and then discovering no one is interested.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@belew @BigPoppi--Thanks. It's the "what do I sell?" question that gets me.

However, what I think you are saying that because he has a very nice long list, advertisers are on his site when people go to it?

Is he selling his information or services? Or do people end up paying for access?
Post 27 IP   flag post
@BigPoppi Lots of folks make 'stuff' then go looking for people to want it.

Perhaps it is better to find people ... learn what they want ... then sell them that. No?
Post 28 IP   flag post
@gspieler - actually I told him putting advertisers on his site was the wrong way if he wanted to make real money. It certainly can pay the bills and @belew is the guru at that.

You need to be selling products to make real money, someone else's, yours or your knowledge.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@gspieler

Someone on Tyler's site guest posted a review of products that are relevant to his audience. The guest post ranked very well organically.

Just that one post ... and because Tyler knew that one post performed well already, he started promoting that post to look-a-like audience on FB.

Result - post started performing even better.
Post 30 IP   flag post
30467 45 30
destitute