The Best Business Forum
The Best Business Forum
BloggingIntroductionSEOSocial Media

Your Connection is Not Secure ... Then what?2618

Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
Could you please try jackmolan.com and see if it jumps over to my page? The Rev said it worked for him, ad it works for me, but I want to make sure before I start using it. I have another presentation on the cruise ship coming up the Sunday, and I want to get a slide up at the end with my domain name.

Thanks

Jack
Post 1 IP   flag post
Put this together for the start and end of my presentation. I represent the company on the top left logo, but I am working my own stuff in as well....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
I get a "Your connection is not secure." And the link had a diagonal line through the HTTPS. FYI, that's on my Chrome browser. Same on Firefox except instead of the diagonal line, I get the message "The owner of jackmolan.com has configured their website improperly."

Not what you wanted to hear, but undoubtedly what you *NEED* to know.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Member JelenaBB private msg quote post Address this user
I also get a notice that site is not secure, on Safari.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Site Admin Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Connection is not private...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ok thanks, I wonder how I can "fix" this?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@jmolan

Perhaps reach out to @Rev in the classroom. Maybe give him admin access to take a look ... IF ... he has the time.

If it's an easy fix he's your man. If it's a hard fix, he's still your man.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@jmolan I got the same security message
Post 8 IP   flag post
Member Happytweeting private msg quote post Address this user
@jmolan and everyone, I have the exact same problem with my website. I tried the ssl certificate, the comodo ssl, and it gave me the grey lock instead of the green lock.
Here is the link for a better understanding:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mixed-content-blocking-firefox
Could you please let me know what to do? Thank you.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Rev

Is this an impasse here? I'm being told it has to do with the SSL. I have not yet officially launched, but I am getting close and I would like to use the jackmolan.com domain.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@jmolan

In the secure classroom area can you make me and/or @Rev an admin. I think you have my email.

I will take a look. But I am sure @Rev is smarter abt these things than I.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
@jmolan

In the secure classroom area can you make me and/or @Rev an admin. I think you have my email.

I will take a look. But I am sure @Rev is smarter abt these things than I.

Will do , today was pretty crazy away from the desk.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Member cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
@belew I got the same message when I logged in here. It said the website is not secure, and therefore vulnerable.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Secure Socket Layer (SSL) is a protocol which provides encryption of the data transferred between a website and your browser. It is useful if that data is confidential and/or contains private personal information including, but not limited to, credit card details.

In most cases, such as on this forum, SSL isn't required. No one should be posting credit card information here.

For some reason, browser designers have decided it is a good idea to generate a warning notice for non-SSL sites. Google, in its infinite wisdom (please note sarcasm) has added SSL as a factor for search positioning.

SSL is one of the many functions on the Internet that is misunderstood by most users and these actions by the techie people like browser manufacturers and Google simply add to the confusion. This confusion may actually result in more security breaches, not less.

As long as you are not providing confidential information (your address and phone number are not really confidential) or other data that should be secured during transmission, then a non-SSL connection is not an issue. Just ignore the warnings.

You should also understand that intercepting data in transit is not an easy task so the average hacker is more likely to grab information from a website, or the end user's personal computer, and not the data channel.

Note also that SSL DOES NOT provide security for the website itself. It only secures the connection to the website and the data in transit. It does nothing to secure or protect your computer or the website installation or the data resident there.

Once data is transfer to or from the website and, if stored in a database on the website's server, that data is no longer secure unless some other mechanism or protocol is in place. Many non-techie website owners have a false sense of security thinking their SSL certificate results in their website being more secure from hacking attempts. It does not.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Rev, what a wonderfully timely and useful explanation. When members of the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) recently discussed SSL on their email loop, it wasn't at all clear, and it left a bunch of authors either trying to get and use an SSL certificate, frustrated, or confused. Would you mind if I copy your post to that loop, please?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@RogerBruner

Feel free to copy/use my post. Glad to help.

If possible, a reference to my website (http://wizardsplace.com/) would be appreciated.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks, Rev. A link to your website would be the least I can do to say thanks. *big smile*
Post 17 IP   flag post
Member cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you @Rev. I am in the planning stages of, I think, setting up a blog. That helps a lot.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Great!
Thanks for clearing that up.
Post 19 IP   flag post
30438 19 19
destitute