The Best Business Forum
The Best Business Forum
Business Advice

Scamming New York Times is Doable2101

Site Admin Belew private msg quote post Address this user
If it can be scammed somebody will do it.

I was listening to a podcast today and they explained how NY Times book sales list can be scammed.

Yeesh. Boy am I naive.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Member Nebrgenius private msg quote post Address this user
You aren't one.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Member Nebrgenius private msg quote post Address this user
Oops..the ONLY one.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
It seems many want to beat the system -- most often by cheating -- instead of playing the game to win. The latter is so much more fun.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of supposed "Best Selling Book" lists are little more than people knowing exactly how to promote a book to gain such a badge on Amazon, etc...

Why else do you think so many influecers give away special pre-sales copies of kindle based books for example...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

You nailed it. Scam or influence? That's what influencers do!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Member tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
YES indeed @Steve! Although, do you think if it is 'good content' (in the ebook) is it still scam? I understand it still scam to say 'best seller', but really if people like it and walk away with something from it, isn't it still good content @belew, @Rev?
Post 7 IP   flag post
It turns out that you can spend up to $200K+ to get a top 10 ranking in NY Times list.

The company you pay the $200K to buys 100K copies or some such number to get your ranking ... the rest is up to the sheep ... baaa!!

Who'd a thunk?

Apparently NY Times is just catching on to the scam ... but WSJ is already out ahead of them.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Member KimSutton private msg quote post Address this user
I have to ask, however...

If you had millions sitting in your account and could afford to buy a few hundred thousand copies of your own book to ensure you wound up on the NYT Best Sellers list, would you?

I can't honestly say I wouldn't purchase my book to get the spot.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Wow @belew! Who knew? I guess we do now, right? Lol

@KimSutton I still do not think I could do it myself. Also, how is spending 200K to have them buy 100K books making them money? Most books are more than $1 or $2/each. Unless we are discussing the freebies. Do they also post reviews? Lol

I cannot believe the NY Times, does not *Fact Check* better as a reputable newspaper (guess they have been loosing that title anyway).
Post 10 IP   flag post
@KimSutton

If i could pay $200k.. get that spot and capitalize on it to make $500k...then it makes sense, no?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Sorry I should have clarified @belew - I meant the company who charged them 200K to purchase the 100K of books? How is that company making money (unless we are saying the books are free or $1)?
Post 12 IP   flag post
30438 12 12
destitute