The Best Business Forum
The Best Business Forum
Belew SpeaksProductivityTwitter

What Happens If Massively Unfollow Twitter1528

Site Admin Belew private msg quote post Address this user
The change in Twitter activity is visible and remarkable when you start following others and are followed.

Have a look.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Member MLHarris private msg quote post Address this user
Happy New Year!

It shouldn't be about numbers, only about people u care about and they care about u. This way one can truly develop a loyal fan base
Post 27 IP   flag post
Member davidz private msg quote post Address this user
@belew nice experiment. When I reminded people here the risk of "link farm" style spam marketer's trick, I thought I would be un-popular, but you did listen.

If I were twitter (or any good social network), my algorithm would certainly reward your current method and penalize your spam method. I am not into twitter because I think it is dying, but my facebook or instagram has absolute no spam method, almost zero following/follower ratio, and making significant progress.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The bottom!! Well, maybe.

I knew when I massively unfollowed people on Twitter I'd lose a bunch, get yelled at, and such. But I didn't know how much.

We wanted to clean out those we were following just for numbers' sake even it meant we were being followed for the same reason.

And we wanted to start reaching out on a much more selective basis.

As it turns out ... we lost abt 20% of our following. More will go. But they are leaving at a much slower rate. What that means is ... I have gained some pure followers and/or the people who appear to be following me are just not that active ... or both.

For the first time in abt a month ... we are seeing a net growth of targeted following and losing real non-followers.

That being said ... I have learned a lot. More to follow on other 'stuff' I have learned.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I have never done this on Twitter before!!

Post 30 IP   flag post

We seem to have found the bottom and have finally starting to grow.

After reaching 55K, then massively unfollowing everyone we didn't know... which was, almost everyone, a bunch of "If you don't follow me I am not going to follow you" people left ... enmasse. As was expected. We just didn't know how many.

Now we know ... almost. We went from 55K to 42K ... not quite 25%, but almost.

We are much more targeted now than we were before. Engagement is up, impressions are up ... Twitter is more fun ... and we are growing again.
Post 31 IP   flag post
42.1 K was the bottom ... up to 43.5K now and heading in the upwards direction.

Still losing a few now and then...but growing more quickly.

How's your Twitter efforts?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Here's my image proof of bouncing off the bottom. 8-)

Post 33 IP   flag post
I have seen the bottom and it is there.

After the massive unfollow we lost abt 30% of our followers. These probably weren't followers anyway.

We have started growing again...but more deliberately this time.

More to come.
Post 34 IP   flag post
We bounced back from 55K to 40K and now 67K.

There is life after a massive unfollow.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew pleased you bounced back ...

I've just started to use socialoomph.com to schedule posts.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@Steve

Hows social oomph working for you?
Post 37 IP   flag post
I'm only using the twitter unlimited part... i wanted a way to bulk schedule posts for multiple accounts easily... this gives me that.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Member FrugalTravelsNepal private msg quote post Address this user
Hope you are sick of hearing about my Twitter issues, but I appreciate any feedback. I followed too many and ended up with 1,800 followers but following 3,900 I deleted everyone I could find that wasn't following me. I went all the way down the list on twitter and unfollowed everyone I could find that isn't following me. Then I did it again. I went all the way until the feed stopped.

I do not know where these people are that I'm following and who are not following me back. So I went on crowdfire and unfollowed 100 and then checked again, going all the way through the twitter feed. Still no one, but when I got finished deleting everyone yesterday morning I got blocked again. That was before I got my helper to show me Crowdfire.

So now I have about 1,900 followers and am afraid to even look at it for fear of some sort of 3 strikes policy. How do I find these people who are not following me? I even looked on my lists. I don't know what to do except just quit it.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@FrugalTravelsNepal your not getting blocked by Twitter because of rule breaking... your follow to follower ratio is out that is all.... so keep going
Post 40 IP   flag post
Thanks, I thought, well paranoid thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
@FrugalTravelsNepal your not getting blocked by Twitter because of rule breaking... your follow to follower ratio is out that is all.... so keep going
Post 41 IP   flag post
So, I scrolled down and found about 300 followers who didn't follow me so I unfollowed them. Next I get this when I tried to log in:

What happened?
We have detected unusual activity on your account. For your security, your account has been locked until you change your password.
What can you do:
To secure your account, please change your password before logging back in.

Does this stuff happen to everyone?
Post 42 IP   flag post
@FrugalTravelsNepal that happens on Occassion when using an external tool... simply login to Twitter and change your password.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I got up to 2,000 followers and am now working on the guest house account, StarViewRetreatCenter@gmail.com Don't know the URL for the account. So, I'm up to about 100 now and trying to stay out of trouble.

I really like this forum and this social media platform. Hope it becomes the next Facebook.
Post 44 IP   flag post
@FrugalTravelsNepal

Take your time. I started actively growing my acct abt 1.5 years ago.

In 15 months it has grown abt 60k = 4k/month, 1k/week.

You'll get there.
Post 45 IP   flag post
It's almost that time of the year again.

Last year I deleted all my followers to see what would happen.

I wonder if I should do it again this year.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@Belew
Post 47 IP   flag post
Now that I've been so careful not to get into trouble again, I see everyone 25% at least who have a lot more people they are following than follow them. Did they lift the restriction? I don't get it.

Thanks for all your help...
Post 48 IP   flag post
@FrugalTravelsNepal

Those ppl who have more following than followers are not doing things right ... will run into trouble ... or are not active.
Post 49 IP   flag post
OK, thanks.
Post 50 IP   flag post
I'm seriously getting tired of the 'Twitter' thing. I was just about up to 3,000 followers and wanted to get that last 25 to push me over the edge. I literally was less than 100 followers over the 10% more that are following me.

I got blocked again. OK, that's fine. I deleted them and waited a day and it's good again. But I see people all day long who have 1,000 followers and follow 4,000 (one example). OK, I assumed they haven't logged on for awhile and fair is fair, but no! They continue to tweet and all without a problem. I can see when they were last online, so what's the deal?

I looked at the documentation on Twitter, but it says it is individual and not disclosed. So, that means I have different rules than other people have, but they don't tell me? What kind of BS is this?

I keep getting this nagging voice that asks, 'is it really worth it?'
Post 51 IP   flag post
@FrugalTravelsNepal

There's a limit each day on what you can follow. I get blocked from time to time, too.

Just ease up a bit.

Is it worth it? I had more than 1000 visits to my site last 30 days and more than 200 came to my landing page from Twitter. It's worth it to me.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Thanks, Bill. At first my blog went from 1,000 to 5,000 in a month and I was really hopeful. I got busy with networking tutorials and spent many hours following people. Now, when I open my home page I mostly see young women giving 'beaver' shots with only a thread up the crack of their buttocks. I obviously need to stop growing the network and takes some time pruning it.

I started an account with copromote.com where people share their stuff back and forth to build each others' networks. So, I share a lot for these people and they share my posts. The problem is that even though all these people are sharing my posts, more than 100,000 reach I seriously haven't seen a rupee come my way from it. I have a self published guide book for people coming to Nepal, and consequently many people from #Nepal, trekkers, etc. It hasn't sold one book. I usually get a few sales from the internet and my blog, but not only have I not sold any books, but due to this coming into the slow tourist season I haven't sold one. Yes, people are still coming and my guest house has been doing well, so tourism is doing well. I think I was blogging more before I got sucked down the twitter network, but I seriously don't think it's doing anything.

I'm going to implement a few marketing strategies before I call it a wash. Maybe I need to tweet more often, tweet better stuff, not tweet so many from the copromote network that don't fit my niche. My long term goal for the network is to build up a Nepal-friendly following and use it for fund raising. I founded an NGO after the earthquakes last year and didn't have a big enough network to really get many donations. I have three types of people I follow, one for the guest house, one for the book and one for the agency. To me, this 'following' is more like one network because it's all about Nepal.

Advice? Maybe I need a day off. This is the view from the rooftop of my guest house. Just an amazing village for an old lady.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Copromote and that ilk doesn't work.

We manually follow specific targeted ppl each day/week till we reach our limits.

I recommend you delete all the crap followers. Go back to the very basics, use an app like crowdfire and target ppl you want to follow. Grow slowly and intentionally. Nothing worthwhile is easy.

@Steve is over 220K. I am closing in on 80K. But it's going to drop.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@FrugalTravelsNepal compromise work I am guessing by allowing you to share other people's content easily...

Have you considered what would happen if you had enough content that you didn't need to share other people's?

What do you think would happen?
Post 55 IP   flag post
30445 123 30
destitute